A matter of perspective

Question: Is it morally wrong to try and reduce the amount of animals slaughtered around the word while at the same time huge numbers of human beings are starving to death all around the world?

If you’re trying to say that because we’re reducing slaughtering animals, we’re contributing to world hunger, that is very skewed and flawed information.

Not only to we have enough food RIGHT NOW to feed the world many times over, but removing livestock and poultry will not hinder this at all, either. About 70% of grains in the world are used to feed livestock, which are then used to feed us. You can imagine then just how much MORE food we would have if we stopped feeding livestock!

Not only that, but it not a food shortage issue, but rather a food distribution issue. Think of all the food we throw out here. We eat more than we need to, we binge, and we waste carelessly.

^agreed.

Is it only meat that make our stomach full??? I don’t think so… There are lots of veggies, fruits and grains that may prevent hunger… Actually grains make us full faster… :wink:

Implying that the distribution of food in the world at the moment is going to change any time soon is very naive claim to make Circular. I’m not going to take food off my families plates to feed someone on the other side of the world.

On the other hand, I’m not going to try and campaign for a societal transition to veganism which will inevitably cause starvation in third world countries where it is culturally and practically only feasible to live by eating meat.

First of all, a societal transition where we eat less meat in our diets is by no means going to affect what people in developing countries eat in their diets. However, the US, Canada, the UK, Australia, China, etc. are the countries that eat so much meat. Eating meat is not a regularity for people in developing countries. It’s expensive, and they can get much more out of their animals before killing them.

The killing of an animal celebrates a holiday or a special occasion, and certainly does not happen everyday.

Agriculture and Food — Meat Consumption: Per capita
Units: Kilograms per person

Region/Classification
Asia (excluding Middle East) 27.8
Central America & Caribbean 46.9
Europe 74.3
Middle East & North Africa 25.7
North America 123.2
South America 69.7
Sub-Saharan Africa 13.0
Developed Countries 80.0
Developing Countries 28.9

earthtrends.wri.org/searchable_d … lect_years

Like I said in another threat, until you can instantly remove meat based food infrastructure and replace it with veggy based food infrastructure all of this talk is useless. If you want practical results you need to think in practical terms.

That statement did not make any sense whatsoever. More and more people are switching to vegetarian/vegan diets every day. About ten years ago only 1% of the United States population was vegetarian, and now around 5% are. When fewer people eat meat, there is less of a demand for it. This means that every single person who turns down meat is saving resources.

Also, where do you get the idea that people in poor countries rely on meat? It takes 16 pounds of grains to make one pound of beef. Do you think poverty stricken people can either grow that much grain, or wait around for several years until their few cows eat enough to be slaughtered?

Please try and understand globalization before you post next time.

Heck, not even globalization just trade.

The food supply all around the world is connected in the globalized world because of the enormous amount of trade. Ergo, when meat production slows down somewhere, everyone gets less food.

Also I would like to see where you got that 5% stat from.

i agree. this idea of people in poor countries relying upon meat is incorrect.

The idea that taking away meat as a possible source of food will not adversely affect poor people is also not true.

geeze. i hope you don’t really believe at that idiotic propaganda and childish DUMBYist trollspeak that you are spewing here.

youtube.com/watch?v=5x0BSgLKnSk

youtube.com/watch?v=yys7RKlnqQ8

It’s basic logic dragonfly, allow me to explain.

You have two sources of food: Food A and Food B
A=1
B=1

At the moment you can eat both ergo
Food = A+B
A + B = 2

BUT wait, someone took away food source B
A=1
B=0
Food = A=B
A+B= 1

Simple.

You need to learn physics because you clearly don’t know the law of conservation of energy.

Perhaps you could add some substance to your post actually citing some scientific truth rather than asking me to learn “physics”.

Of course it’s simple, it’s not like I’m going to spend a large portion of my time trying to enlighten such a small part of society.

This is the basic logic:
There are two types of food: A and B. You have some food A and you can convert it into food B. Energy conversion efficiency is 10%.

A = 2
B = 0
Food = A+B = 2

If you want to have some food B, you need to convert food A to food B.

A = 2-1 = 1
B = 1*10%/100% = 0.1
Food = A+B = 1.1

So if you feed the food to animals, bigger part of energy will be lost. That means people should stop breeding animals and feeding the food to them.

I see what you’re saying, but what you are implying is that people feed animals solely foodstuffs suitable for human consumption.

When you get down to the practical side of things most of the time the food that farm animals eat is not suitable for human consumption i.e.: Grass.

If we fed sheep mushroom soup before we killed them for food you would be right, but we don’t. At least not to the degree where it is hugely inefficient.

This is the practical side of things: where the grass grows, plants suitable for direct consumption could be grown and less area would be needed.

Except we don’t feed farm animals grass anymore, nor are they really farm animals. In animal farming factories, they eat CORN.

Corn, that in its many forms is in almost everything we eat, that we use to drive our cars.

Ah, so you’re arguing that because corn is, in some way or another, in almost everything we use it is wrong/wasteful to feed to animals?
A similar strain of thought goes a little something like this, please excuse its slight off topicness:
All of these products come from cattle
From the top!
Brain: Anti-aging cream, Medicines

Hooves/Horns: Adhesives, plastics, pet food, plant food, photo film, shampoo and conditioner, lamination, wallpaper, plywood

Blood: Posta, imitation eggs, cake mixes, dyes and inks, adhesives, minerals, medicines, lab research materials

Bones: Refined sugar, charcoal, fertilizer, glass

Internal organs: Instrumental strings, tennis racquet string, hormones, enzymes, vitamins and other medical materials

Milk: Adhesives, plastics, cosmetics, medicines

Hair: air filters, brushes, felt, insulation, plaster, textiles

Skin: Gelatin, flavorings, sheetrock, wallpaper, adhesives, medicines, candies and confectionary
Manure: fertilizer, nitrogen, phosphorous

Fat: Chewing gum, candles, detergents, fabric softener, deoderant, shaving cream, perfume, petfood, cosmetics, creams and lotions, crayons, paint, oils and lubraicants, biodiesel, plastics, waterproofing agents, cement, chalk, explosives, fireworks, matches, fertilizer, antifreeze, insulation, linoleum, rubber, textiles, medicines