New to veganism

I just joined, and decided to take the plunge. I am hoping to go from a man who at one time ate 6 meals of meat per day, to an environmentally conscious vegan. I have already cut my meals down, and I’m eating cereal for breakfast, so I feel like I have a somewhat good start. Can ya’ll give me some tips on recipes, how to survive cookouts, etc?

I wish you all the best, hippyman, but going vegan all of a sudden like that is a very difficult thing for most people to do. I, myself, am vegan, but I had to work up to it. You see, I’ve been a vegetarian for about 18 years or so, but I’ve been vegan for only about 3 of them. In 1998, I started out as an ovo-lacto vegetarian. That means that I ate no meat, but I did eat dairy products and eggs. About seven years later, I gave up all dairy products; you know: butter, cheese, milk, yogurt, etc. Eggs, for me, were the last to go. Anyway, I’m not trying to discourage you, hippyman, but I am suggesting that you don’t be too hard on yourself at first. I also suggest that you do a lot of research so that you don’t become vitamin deficient.

Thank you. I don’t feel like I’m going vegan all at once though, I plan to wean myself off of one type of animal product at a time. It will be difficult, and take patience, I know.

The best advice I can give is to do it slowly and introduce veganism incrementally. Find vegan products one at a time to replace your non-vegan products. I hope that helps :slight_smile:

Long time no see. I have good news to spread, I have officially been a vegetarian for almost 2 months now. I don’t know what I did, but it finally took. I have gotten to where I don’t even miss the taste of death. I am eating Tofurky and Morning Star products at cookouts, and even cooked a meatless stroganoff a few days ago.

I have just joined in this group. I am happy to be here.