VEGAN RECIPE FOR BAKED TOFU SANDWICH WITH PESTO

VEGAN RECIPE FOR BAKED TOFU SANDWICH WITH PESTO

Try this vegan recipe tofu sandwich

Ingredients
Sandwich filling
200g tofu
2 tbs dried herbs (I used oregano, thyme and basil)
1 tbs olive oil (optional)
1 red capsicum, deseeded
1 red onion
2 tbs balsamic vinegar
½ cup baby spinach leaves
Pesto
¼ cup (store-bought) basil pesto OR
3 garlic cloves, crushed
3 tbs pine nuts, toasted
1 cup fresh basil leaves
3 tbs olive oil
Bread
4 slices bread of choice

Steps
Step 1
Preheat the oven to 180C.

Step 2
Slice the tofu thinly so it can fit nicely in a sandwich (my tofu was about 8mm thick). Rub herbs and olive oil on all sides of tofu. Slice the capsicum in quarters. Bake tofu and capsicum on a lined tray for 15 minutes or until the tofu is golden brown and the capsicum has deepened in colour.

Step 3
For the onion, saute in a small fry pan with a dash of water for 5 minutes on high. When the onion has softened, add the balsamic vinegar and saute for 1 minute. Bring it down to medium-low heat and simmer/saute for 10 minutes until caramelised and very soft.

Step 4
If you’re making your own pesto, toast the garlic and pine nuts in a small frypan on medium heat, continuously stirring so it doesn’t burn. When the garlic and pine nuts are golden brown, add to a food processor with the basil and olive oil. Process until it forms a pesto or paste-like consistency.

Step 5
Assemble the sandwiches with the pesto, spinach leaves, tofu and capsicum and enjoy!

Step 6
Share this recipe for your friends and in facebook or pin on pinterest for suport me…