Piri-Piri Sauce

On my last trip to London, I went to a Nandos Piri-Piri Chicken Restaurant and had one of their vegetable pitta-pockets. It was VILE, and gave me a nose bleed :imp:

But I love spicy food, and was curious what real Piri-Piri is like. Today on the TV a cookery programme showed how to make a simple Piri-Piri dressing. It can be drizzled over grilled tofu, vege-burgers, or vegetable kebabs.

1 small chilli (thai or birds-eye), deseeded and chopped
1 Jalapeno chilli, sliced
2 tbsp sweet paprika
1 onion, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
juice of 1/2 lemon

Simply put all the ingredients in a food processor or blender, and ‘blitz’ until it becomes a sauce.

You can alter the amounts of chilli depending on how hot you want your sauce. I made it with a teaspoon of chilli sauce, because my chilli peppers haven’t ripened yet :wink: and balsamic vinegar, and concentrated lemon juice.

How it gave you a nose bleed? Was it so hot?

Hmmm, I’m not sure… Yes it was hot (my mouth went numb too!) I usually love hot food, but this was something else! :astonished: A different sort of hot? I think the restaurant had used the marinade for the chicken, and poured it on my food like a sauce: there was loads of it! Much more than my chicken-eating friends got… :confused:

I also think the raw onion in the sauce causes the chilli to taste hotter… but I don’t really know. :slight_smile:

Thanks for this Becka :smiley: I also love spicy and sauces, this might be a good partner for fried tofu and rice yum… I feel kinda hungry… what else should I fry for this sauce :smiley: