Questionnaire for Vegans!

Hi! I’m doing a project about veganism for my third year work at uni, it’s something i’m really passionate about being a vegan myself. I want to represent vegans in a fair and accurate light which, in my experience, is not always the way we are portrayed.

I was wondering if you could help my research by answering a few questions as fully as you can. It would be really helpful :slight_smile:

Thank you!!

1. How long have you been a Vegan?

2. What was it that made you decide to become a Vegan?

3. Do you find a Vegan lifestyle difficult or challenging at times? If so why?

4. Are there any common criticisms you face regarding your Vegan beliefs?

5. Have you come across any common misconceptions held about the Vegan diet?

6. Do you feel as though being a Vegan defines who you are as a person?

7. What would you say to somebody who completely opposed a Vegan lifestyle?

8. Are there any issues surrounding Veganism that you personally wish to be addressed?

1. I have been vegan for almost 5 months now.
  2. The horrible cruelty to animals, and also I don’t want to die of a heart attack from eating another living thing. Yuck!!!
  3. Well, I just found out that a lot of flours and salts may not be vegan. So now it will be really hard to find food I can eat, let alone go out for dinner! Otherwise, It has been relatively easy for me to adjust to.
  4. Animals aren’t hurt by being milked or laying eggs, etc. This drives me crazy!!! No, it doesn’t hurt the cows to be milked and chickens are not harmed when they lay eggs - in natural circumstances. But it’s the method factory farmers use to get these resources which we don’t even need to survive that is so bad.
  5. We only eat fruits and veggies and have bad nutrition. NOT TRUE!!! The vegan diet is one of the healthiest! Many athletes and celebrities are going vegan for the nutritional benefits.
  6. Yes!!! I am proud of being vegan, and I am always looking for ways to promote veganism and animal welfare in general.
  7. Do your research and think about others than yourself once in a while.
  8. This whole salt and flour thing! If it’s true that salt is refined with bone char and flour is whitened with bird feathers and human hair, I definitely think people need to know about that!!!
  1. Almost 3 years
  2. Animal suffering that is completely unnecessary in the western world. Also health and environmental benefits.
  3. Sometimes; mostly when eating out or at another persons house, because I don’t like to be rude or quiz people about what is in their food. Also, living with an omni who is addicted to junk food so there is always tempting convenience foods and candy, etc. around the house.
  4. Yes. When most people find out you are a vegan, they react as though there is a implicit judgement of them within your belief. After all, you have made a choice for moral reasons, so this reminds them that not only is there a choice to be made, but that if they are not making the same choice their own morals may be in question. So I’ve been literally attacked by strangers who see what food I’m ordering in the cafeteria, or at the grocery store. It’s pretty sad.
  5. That you can’t get enough protein, calcium, iron, etc., that your food must be bland and disgusting, that all you eat is tofu, salad, or side dishes, and that you are uptight/bitchy/judgemental, etc. LOTS of stereotyping going on.
  6. It’s more like being a vegan is the result of who I am as a person, not the other way around.
  7. Ask them to explain why they oppose it and then answer whatever questions are raised during their explanation. There really is no reason to oppose someone elses lifestyle choice, and the fact that there is so much bias against us is very telling in terms of our societie’s collective dissonance surrounding the idea of eating animals.
  8. We (and society in general) need to be more skeptical of claims that are made, both for and against veganism, so that we are not exagerating the benefits of veganism or the detriment of being an omnivore.
  1. How long have you been a Vegan? FORTY-FIVE YEARS

2. What was it that made you decide to become a Vegan? NOTHING MADE ME BECOME A VEGAN; IT WAS A SPONTANEOUS DECISION.

3. Do you find a Vegan lifestyle difficult or challenging at times? If so why? NO.

4. Are there any common criticisms you face regarding your Vegan beliefs? THE USUAL ONES.

5. Have you come across any common misconceptions held about the Vegan diet? TONS OF MISCONCEPTIONS…JUST TAKE A LOOK AT THIS FORUM.

6. Do you feel as though being a Vegan defines who you are as a person? I SUPPOSE TO OTHERS, YES.

7. What would you say to somebody who completely opposed a Vegan lifestyle? KNOCK IT OFF!

8. Are there any issues surrounding Veganism that you personally wish to be addressed?

1. 8 months
  2. I’ve always loved animals and wanted to save them and be a veg. i went veg because of the obvious harm to animals, then got really into it when i discovered PETA and saw the truth (look up Meet your meat)
  3. not really. sometimes i want the taste then i think about the animals… it gets way easier
  4. sometimes. i have a friend who doesn’t believe in animals rights and is a total bull head but i just smack people down and prove it to them.
  5. …what?
  6. I’m still the same person and my friends respect that I’m veg.
    1. Tell them and show them why some many people are veg and make them see that it’s bad for animals, people, and the earth. 2.DIS THEM TO THE GROUND!!!
      :cyclopsani: :bigsmurf:
  1. I have been a vegan for about 4 months now.
  2. I was a vegetarian for 2 years before going vegan and I decided that I should become a vegan because I don’t even like milk products or anything.
  3. I only find the vegan lifestyle challenging if I HAVE to eat out
  4. Yes, there are many. Lots of people tell me that I will get extremely sick because lack of nutrition and will have to go back to eating meat
    5.Yes. We get a lot of protein and so many people say that vegetarians and vegans are lacking it but in all reality, most people get too much protein!
  5. I really do. Being vegan has helped me express myself. I feel like taking this step was the right thing to do and I feel more at peace with myself
  6. I wouldn’t say anything to them. Just walk away.
  7. nope I don’t think so
  1. Why did you decide to become vegan?
    to be healthy, slim and make a difference against cruelty to animals

2. How long have you been a vegan for?
    13 months

3. What is the hardest part?
    finding vegan food that does not contain eggs or dairy. not having time to cook

4. What positive changes have occurred in your life since making this change?
    I feel lighter, more energy, smell better, lost weight

5. What negative changes have occurred in your life since making this change?
    none. just poop more often :wink:

6. Do you feel stronger or weaker now that you are a vegan?
    waaaaay stronger

7. What are your main concerns being a vegan?
    none

8. Is it hard to obtain all protein sources?
    as easy as 1-2-3. everything vegan contain amino acids, which are the essentials ingredients for the production of protein

9. What are your main sources of protein?
    all kinds of veggies but most of all beans, nuts, quinoa, chickpeas, lentils, broccoli and a few others

10. Do you understand all the health benefits of being vegan?
    For sure, most vegans do a lot, i mean a lot of research on it (you’ll find out in this survey)

11. Have noticed any changes in your health since becoming a vegan?
    I feel much better emotionally and have more energy phisically but I still get colds once in a while. No stomach flu though (that is caused by bad meat sitting in yout tummy)

12. If so what are they?

as per above