New here...hi!

Hope this post is in the right place.

Just wanted to say hi to everyone here!

I’m 20 years old, from Ireland. I was a vegan for 2 years. Then went back to vegetarianism for a year, but now I really want to go back to my vegan ways. I felt so much healthier and happier when I was vegan.

It’s going to be difficult for me because I’ve no support from family or friends but hopefully I’ll find some support here!

Peace and love. :flower:

Hi, welcome to our community! :slight_smile:
Is it easy to be vegan in Ireland?

Happy St. Patty’s day! Keep it up…if you need some motivation outside of health, we can provide you all kinds of animal rights links, but surely you have already seen them.

By the way, my wife is of Irish descent, so we celebrate as best we can for being in the US. We drink very little, but tomorrow we’ll be having Irish Trash Cans. Also, I am making Irish Seitan Stew (recipezaar.com/my-wild-irish … tew-361613) and soda bread to celebrate!

What are you challenges there in Ireland, aside from having no support (which is a shame)?

Thanks Happy Patricks day to you all too! :slight_smile:

Yes it was bothering me a fair bit thinking about the treatment of animals and how my lifestyle was supporting that. It’s quite hard to get back into the vegan thing though, I’m not a great cook and a little lazy so I have to push myself to eat a well balanced diet. I kind of have no support from family and friends because about a year ago I got well kind of malnourished. They blamed veganism but I wasn’t eating much at all in general so…unfortunately now they’re scared I’ll get sick again.

I think being vegan in Ireland is the same as being one anywhere else really. Except for some cities in America maybe…

dlwilson, what exactly is an Irish trash can?? Sounds interesting! lol

I understand about family not being accepting. My family still doesn’t accept my decision, even after a year and a half, although they have come around in small areas at times. My wife and I have been eating healthy food and making sure we get what we need for the most part, but I have still be called “gaunt” and “too skinny” and such. My wife’s family was skeptical at first, but very quickly accepted our decision and even supported it by cooking vegan dishes for us when we eat with them, which has been wonderful. Plus, it does make it easier to have a wife that is also vegan!

We live near Charlotte in North Carolina, and being vegan there is not very easy relative to a lot of other bigger cities in the US. We have made it work, but we do have to cook often, and then we rely heavily on tofu replacement at Chinese, Japanese, Indian and Thai places.

Haha…an Irish trash can is interesting…but first, a disclaimer…we don’t drink often and when we do, not much. Here is the list of ingredients:

• 1 part Curacao, blue
  • 1 part Gin
  • 1 part Rum, light
  • 1 part Schnapps, peach
  • 1 part Triple Sec
  • 1 part Vodka
  • 1 can Red Bull

So what we’ll probably do is split it…but it’s nice because it turns a nice shade of green after mixed together. :drunken:

I may be late for greeting you, but welcome anyway, I am also new here… I don’t thin it will be much difficult for you, as long as you love what you do and you are enjoying it, everything will be alright… :smiley: