Don't only humans understand abstract concepts?

While talking with non veggies we get a lot of questions. This forum is to finding the best answers to those questions.
Zuban
Vegan Forum Beginner

Don't only humans understand abstract concepts?

Postby Zuban » Dec 10, 2007 10:54 pm

Don't only humans have the ability to use language and understand abstract concepts?

BigBecka
Lord of the posts

Postby BigBecka » Dec 11, 2007 8:39 pm

Some scientists have thought that the noises dolphins make may be a language, for many years now. There is also reserach into Prarie Dog language, whale song, and some of the noises other apes make to communicate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_language

Only humans talk about abstract concepts, in a language other humans understand. :lol:

Did you ever read any Terry Pratchett books? My favourite character is You B*stard, a camel who happens to be the greatest mathematician in the world. There isn't much else to do in a desert... :wink:

Seriously, if humans started thinking abstract concepts due having more time (the discovery of fire, the advent of farming...) perhaps other animals can or have develop this also. For example, those species of chimps living in communities, and household/farmed animals. I've heard pig farmers say that you occasionally get very pensive, intelligent pigs...

dragonfly
Vegan Talk Veteran

Re: Don't only humans understand abstract concepts?

Postby dragonfly » Dec 13, 2008 8:53 pm

Zuban wrote:Don't only humans have the ability to use language and understand abstract concepts?
It depends on your definition for abstract concept. Use of language is also poorly defined, other species are definitely capable of communication.

meign
AR Knight

Re: Don't only humans understand abstract concepts?

Postby meign » Oct 7, 2010 8:58 am

I think only human can use language but I think not only human can understand...

• RELATED_TOPICS
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Veggie Questions and Answers”