G8 Protests

General and Offtopic Conversations. The forum to discuss world news, music, generic movies, politics, social issues and sport, everything that is not related to vegetarianism goes here.
BigBecka
Lord of the posts

G8 Protests

Postby BigBecka » Jun 3, 2007 8:25 am

Ok, I'm seeing conflicting news reports about these protests/riots... What on earth is going on?

On the evening news, it said that the protestors were "Communists, Anarchists and Environmentalists." :o

Then there was some footage of a support protest in the UK, with nice old ladies from a Catholic Aid Agency. :)

This morning, I read that there was another violent protest in Rostock, where the protestors were far-right National Democrats. Another report said they were Church groups, environmental activists, cultural societies and feminists.

But the violence was started by a "hard-core" of black-clad figures (MI6 or CIA? Or is that me being paranoid?! I remember the Miners' Strikes...) :hiding:

It is unclear what everyone is protesting about, though the report I read this morning said it was about "Globalisation and Capitalism." I thought the summit was about coordinating policy on climate change and foreign policy? Surely state control of industry is a separate issue...?

Why are environmentalists campaigning against Globalisation and Capitalism? :dontknow:

AndyBa
Vegan Zealot

Re: G8 Protests

Postby AndyBa » Dec 14, 2009 12:11 am

BigBecka wrote:Why are environmentalists campaigning against Globalisation and Capitalism? :dontknow:

Probably because companies that have green restrictions locally will move the production abroad where such restrictions do not exist - that's Globalisation.

Why they would do it? For profit - that's Capitalism. :)

Return to “General Conversations”