something almost primal

General and Offtopic Conversations. The forum to discuss world news, music, generic movies, politics, social issues and sport, everything that is not related to vegetarianism goes here.
dragonfly
Vegan Talk Veteran

something almost primal

Postby dragonfly » Jan 21, 2010 3:27 am

http://www.care2.com/causes/animal-welfare/blog/something-almost-primal/
During the past decade, numerous articles in magazines, newspapers and online have documented a disturbing trend. Individuals describing themselves as 'ex-vegetarian' or even 'ex-vegan', have been enlisted as spokespersons for a new fad, characterized by the promotion of 'humanely-raised animal products', or, as described by some animal rights advocates, 'Happy Meat'...

there is no such thing as happy meat.

BigBecka
Lord of the posts

Re: something almost primal

Postby BigBecka » Jan 22, 2010 10:01 pm

Wow - I haven't seen "Happy Meat" (yet) :o Although I have noticed a movement towards "humanely raised" products (free range chicken, sustainable fish stocks, etc.). They are often promoted as healthy too. It is so scary what power the media have to feed people these stories :(

Only yesterday I was talking to a businesswoman who wanted to build "sustainable communities" with a cow for each community. She clearly hadn't thought what must be done to the cow to make milk or beef :roll:

dragonfly
Vegan Talk Veteran

Postby dragonfly » Jan 28, 2010 11:45 pm

BigBecka wrote:Wow - It is so scary what power the media have to feed people these stories :(

Only yesterday I was talking to a businesswoman who wanted to build "sustainable communities" with a cow for each community. She clearly hadn't thought what must be done to the cow to make milk or beef :roll:
yes the corporate mass media has too much power, they only regurgitate the lies and disinformation of the corporate elite.

Sandyloam43
Vegan Forum noob

Postby Sandyloam43 » Feb 4, 2010 6:37 pm

I think the issues of "happy meat" will become more and more prominent in the media as the weight of proof about the terrible methods of factory farming becomes widespread. But when you get to the issue of the destructive properties of animal protein, as set out in the book The China Study by T. Colin Campbell, it doesn't matter whether meat is happy or not. Actually I think the dangers of animal protein is the most shocking piece of news not in the news.

BigBecka
Lord of the posts

Postby BigBecka » Feb 10, 2010 10:27 am

Hi Sandyloam! I haven't read this book. Would you mind summarising what these destructive properties Mr Campbell found are?

dragonfly
Vegan Talk Veteran

Postby dragonfly » Feb 11, 2010 1:32 am

meign
AR Knight

Postby meign » Sep 28, 2010 3:09 am

Happy meat? What are they up to? What do they want to point out?

Return to “General Conversations”