accidentally ate/bought whey

General Vegan and Vegetarian Talk forum. Learn about veganism and its relation to environment, morality and human health.
bfrau
Vegan Forum noob

accidentally ate/bought whey

Postby bfrau » Jul 5, 2011 9:17 pm

i'm usually really careful when i check ingredients, but i was in a rush today and bought a thing of granola without checking. it wasn't until i had already eaten some for breakfast that i realized it listed whey as an ingredient. i obviously feel terrible about this, but it's one of the only slip ups i've had while being vegan. my question is what to do with the rest: i offered it to my roommate to finish, but if she doesn't like it, is it more harmful and unethical to just throw it away or to eat it myself? i just wanted some opinions on this because i've never had this problem before. thanks!

AndyBa
Vegan Zealot

Re: accidentally ate/bought whey

Postby AndyBa » Jul 21, 2011 5:46 pm

Just eat it. You have already paid for it. So the harm is done. Veganism is not about purity. If nobody wants to eat it, then you eat it. :)

ANne
Vegan Talk Frequenter

Re: Accidentally Ate/bought Whey

Postby ANne » Jul 25, 2011 4:28 pm

dont repeat the mistake again.

dragonfly
Vegan Talk Veteran

Postby dragonfly » Aug 11, 2011 2:48 am

it could happen to anybody. don't sweat it.

AdamD
Passionated Vegan Talker

Postby AdamD » Aug 12, 2011 4:51 am

Just eat it!

I do it all the time and I feel great :)

VBryan
Advanced Vegan Talker

Postby VBryan » Aug 22, 2011 5:30 am

If you are vegan you can not eat it knowing it is not a vegan product essentially. So outside of giving it to someone else to eat, there is the option of throwing it I guess. Not sure if there is some other creative use for it.

Apocalyptica
Vegan Forum Guest

Re: Accidentally Ate/bought Whey

Postby Apocalyptica » Sep 2, 2011 8:31 pm

I don't see any problem with eating it, because as AndyBa said it was the purchase of the product that supported the animal industry, not whether you finish the box or not. I just had the same thing happen with a box of cereal that contained honey, and I finished the box. Don't beat yourself up for it, we all make mistakes. :)

snog
Vegan Forum Member

Postby snog » Oct 5, 2011 9:45 am

AndyBa wrote:Just eat it. You have already paid for it. So the harm is done. Veganism is not about purity. If nobody wants to eat it, then you eat it. :)

Indeed. People do the best they can. I agree with the above that being vegan doesn't mean you have be anal retentive. Oprah had an episode on where she had spoken of being 'veganist': people eat primarily vegan, but do consume dairy once in a while...
in a perfect world, it'd be easy to be a vegan purist. I wouldn't miss icecream, etc if the vegan versions were as inexpensive as the dairy. It's all about marketing, most vegan items being a niche market... In the future, though, I bet nearly everything would be vegan. It'd have to be to sustain the planet, that's for sure...

Kensho
Vegan Forum Guest

Postby Kensho » Oct 5, 2011 11:31 am

i forgive you... please find it within you to forgive yourself... don't stress over an honest mistake... but i would throw it away if it causes you pain... i've been a vegan for about 8-9 months now and in all honesty i use organic honey from time to time... two nights ago i enjoyed some on my baked sweet potato... despite others philosophical beliefs on the matter i still consider myself a vegan... i'm not killing the bee by consuming its honey... on the other hand eating the remnants of a sentient being who had its own level of consciousness is a completely different story...

Kensho

Kramer
Vegan Talk Frequenter

Postby Kramer » Nov 10, 2011 12:09 pm

Since it was unintentional nothing to worry about :wink:

Return to “Vegan Chat”