Hair Loss

I am a new vegan, as of August, so it’s been nearly 6 months. I am happy to say that I’ve lost 23 pounds, and my overall cholesterol dropped 88 points in the first 6 weeks, and my bad cholesterol dropped 81 points in the same time frame. For the last couple of months, I’ve been noticing significant hair loss. Now I just discovered that my hairline is receding a bit!!! (I am female, 49 years old.) Has anyone experienced this, and if so, what should I do? I’ve begun taking an Omega-3 supplement, Calcium supplement, and also a 1-A Day vitamin. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Do you have enough proteins and iron in your diet?

Well done for dropping the weight and cholestorol :slight_smile:

A few years ago I read about lack of Iodine being linked to hair loss, although I subsequently wasn’t able to find anything out about it :unamused: Basically, in the UK most people get their iodine through cows’ milk because we don’t tend to use iodised salt or other sources of iodine.

Of course, hair loss can be a delayed result of stress - were you stressed about 6 months ago when you went vegan?

i am having a hairloss and i just started vegan diet. is it related?

Thanks, Sergio and BigBecka!

To answer your questions…

1. I am eating a minimum of 20 grams of protein/day, and am taking a 1-A DAY WOMAN vitamin supplement for the iron. Is that enough, do you think?

2. I have considered my stress level, and have determined that I wasn’t any more stressed-out 6 months ago than I am now!!

Thought I heard somewhere that a vitamin B deficiency could contribute to hair loss. Anyone hear that?

THANKS!

No problem Laforet! My mother was telling me just the other day that she had also heard something about vitamin B and hair loss.

In any case, Vegans are usually advised to take vitamin B-12 supplements because they tend to be lacking in a vegan diet. You can also get it in yeast extract, soya milk, breakfast cereal and margarine vegansociety.com/lifestyle/nutrition/ or check out the nutrients forum here :slight_smile:

Hi !! You take properly protein and iron and also used coconut oil ,…

Try out proper homemade recipes to control hair loss.

I agree with you… my grandfather uses virgin coconut oil for his hair loss… you can also used oil of latik…

Virgin coconut oil also helps… but slowly… :smiley:

In my opinion, the M.Gardson’s method is a much more effective…

can you tell us how this method goes?

Eating veggies can help prevent hair loss?

It has never been a disaster having a hair fall because it can be treated. And there can be alternative.

No of things can causes for Hair loss.hormonal problem,Thyroid disease,Pregnancy,Certain medicines and infection causes hair loss.

To reduce hair fall.eat proper healthy food ,drink plenty of water in a day.also taking regular massage with mild coconut oil is good way for preventing hair loss.

Hair loss is caused by many reasons such as malnutrition, illness, tension and other health problems.
It is normal to shed some hair each day as part of a cycle of growing new hairs and loosing some.
Badly damaged hair breaks at the scalp.

Thanks.

they say that drinking apple cider vinegar is a good hair loss treatment…because apple cider vinegar contains 93 essential minerals and vitamins…

not all the types of hair loss can be treated…genetic-type of hair loss cannot be treated anymore…
hair loss treatment for men

Yes,Apple cider vinegar protects the surface of each hair shaft.and also it helps to balance the pH of hair.It is a good natural conditioner.