Difference between fruits and vegetables?

Difference between fruits and vegetables?
Based on the botanical definition of fruit, what’s the best way to distinguish a fruit from a vegetable?

Many fruits grow on trees, but some are also vines. Vegetables do NOT grow on trees (if there is a vegetable tree, please let me know :smiley: ), they are mostly roots (carrots, onions), or grow on vines (squash, pumpkin), and other “things”. Like peas and corn(though corn is more grainy it’s still a vegetable [it’s arguable]), i want to call them seeds, but that doesn’t feel like the right word. Hm… :scratch:

Vegetables and fruits,both have unique benefits.it provide vitamin,protein in our body.

Liked the differentiation of fruits and vegetables. One more is - fruits are sweet but vegetables are not… :stuck_out_tongue:

Vegetables and fruits,both have unique benefits.it provide vitamin,protein in our body.

small business website builder

Veggies come out on top because fruit has too much fructose for the calories and nutrients your body needs. About one piece of fruit a day is good, usually eaten on an empty stomach is best. The about 400 calories of a glucose/starch is about right for the average person.

Both plays important role in providing the necessary factor called proteins and vitamins for our body. Loved to read the difference and got very important facts about fruits and vegetables. Thanks a tone!!

Watermelons!

They are sweet and the seeds are on the inside so those are fruit characteristics, but they are related to squash and pumpkin which is very veggie. I know they are fruits but, they could be a vegetable. Food for thought I also have a blog check it out and comment blendithealthy.wordpress.com/

Adam Alvarez
Blend It healthy
blendithealthy.com

According to Oxford Dictionary, true fruits are developed from the ovary in the base of the flower, and contain the seeds of the plant (though cultivated forms may be seedless). Some plants have a soft part which supports the seeds and is also called a ‘fruit’, though it is not developed from the ovary: the strawberry is an example. Vegetables are used in savoury rather than sweet cooking. The term ‘vegetable’ is more generally used of other edible parts of plants, such as cabbage leaves, celery stalks, and potato tubers, which are not strictly the fruit of the plant from which they come. Occasionally the term ‘fruit’ may be used to refer to a part of a plant which is not a fruit, but which is used in sweet cooking: rhubarb, for example. :smiley:

[size=2]According to Oxford Dictionary, true fruits are developed from the ovary in the base of the flower, and contain the seeds of the plant (though cultivated forms may be seedless). Some plants have a soft part which supports the seeds and is also called a ‘eat vegetables and fruits’, though it is not developed from the ovary: the strawberry is an example. Vegetables are used in savoury rather than sweet cooking.[/size]

Wow, great thread, great explanation, thanks! :slight_smile:

I was taught in school that all fruits had seeds so a tomato is classified as a fruit!